Mass Changes During Chemical Reactions
Added by Dr. Andrew Pulham on Dec 15, 2008
This activity investigates the mass changes that take place when a selection of chemical reactions take place. Experiments are constructed to show mass changes when elements combine with oxygen, during metal-metal salt reactions and when metal carbonates decompose. Conservation of mass during chemical reactions is also reinforced.
This item teaches:
- about examples that demonstrate the conservation of mass in chemical reactions
- abuot the formation of oxides from substances burning in air
- about the conservation of total mass in chemical reactions
- To investigate the mass changes when elements combine with oxygen
- To investigate the mass changes during metal-metal salt reactions
- To investigate the mass changes when metal carbonates decompose
- To reinforce the fact that mass is conserved during chemical reactions
- Chemical Reactions
- Inorganic Chemistry
- carbonate, decomposition, thermal, conservation, change, combustion
- 2,746 times
- Related Items
- This Author
Energy Transfer in Reactions 1
This activity shows that monitoring the temperature change d...
Calcium Carbonate Reaction Rate Change
This activity shows how the speed of a chemical reaction cha...
Learn what a chemical change is.
Learn about combustion.
Mass Changes in Chemical Reactions
This activity aims to show that atoms and mass are conserved...
Energy Changes in Reactions (2)
This activity investigates a series of reactions by measurin...
Planning an Experiment
This activity uses an experiment which investigates the effe...
Measuring the Energy Change in a Chemical Reaction
This activity introduces the idea of the ionic equation for ...
This activity introduces practical methods for separating mi...
Periodicity of Group 7 - Reactions
This activity examines the chemical reactions of the Group 7...