Mass Changes During Chemical Reactions
Added by Dr. Andrew Pulham on Dec 15, 2008
This activity investigates the mass changes that take place when a selection of chemical reactions take place. Experiments are constructed to show mass changes when elements combine with oxygen, during metal-metal salt reactions and when metal carbonates decompose. Conservation of mass during chemical reactions is also reinforced.
This item teaches:
- abuot the formation of oxides from substances burning in air
- about the conservation of total mass in chemical reactions
- about examples that demonstrate the conservation of mass in chemical reactions
- To investigate the mass changes when elements combine with oxygen
- To investigate the mass changes during metal-metal salt reactions
- To investigate the mass changes when metal carbonates decompose
- To reinforce the fact that mass is conserved during chemical reactions
- Chemical Reactions
- Inorganic Chemistry
- carbonate, decomposition, thermal, conservation, change, combustion
- 2,887 times
- Related Items
- This Author
Energy Transfer in Reactions 1
This activity shows that monitoring the temperature change d...
Learn what a chemical change is.
Learn about combustion.
Calcium Carbonate Reaction Rate Change
This activity shows how the speed of a chemical reaction cha...
Mass Changes in Chemical Reactions
This activity aims to show that atoms and mass are conserved...
This activity investigates and teaches students to summarise...
Separation by Distillation
This activity simulates the separation of a liquid mixture c...
Identification of Ions 2
This activity examines two methods of identifying negative n...
Measuring the Energy Change in a Chemical Reaction
This activity introduces the idea of the ionic equation for ...
Energy Changes in Reactions (1)
This activity investigates the energy changes that occur dur...