Mass Changes During Chemical Reactions
Added by Dr. Andrew Pulham on Dec 15, 2008
This activity investigates the mass changes that take place when a selection of chemical reactions take place. Experiments are constructed to show mass changes when elements combine with oxygen, during metal-metal salt reactions and when metal carbonates decompose. Conservation of mass during chemical reactions is also reinforced.
This item teaches:
- abuot the formation of oxides from substances burning in air
- about the conservation of total mass in chemical reactions
- about examples that demonstrate the conservation of mass in chemical reactions
- To investigate the mass changes when elements combine with oxygen
- To investigate the mass changes during metal-metal salt reactions
- To investigate the mass changes when metal carbonates decompose
- To reinforce the fact that mass is conserved during chemical reactions
- Chemical Reactions
- Inorganic Chemistry
- carbonate, thermal, decomposition, conservation, change, combustion
- 2,633 times
- Related Items
- This Author
Energy Transfer in Reactions 1
This activity shows that monitoring the temperature change d...
Calcium Carbonate Reaction Rate Change
This activity shows how the speed of a chemical reaction cha...
Learn what a chemical change is.
Learn about combustion.
Mass Changes in Chemical Reactions
This activity aims to show that atoms and mass are conserved...
Reactions of the Alkali Metals
The aim of this activity is to revise bonding in metals. Th...
Energy Changes in Reactions (2)
This activity investigates a series of reactions by measurin...
This activity investigates how temperature changes when a su...
Periodicity in Group 7
This activity focuses on the study of halogens (Group 7 of t...
Planning an Experiment
This activity uses an experiment which investigates the effe...