States of Matter
Added by Dr. Andrew Pulham on Dec 15, 2008
The activity helps students to investigate the properties associated with the different states of matter. With the help of the Atom viewer, the properties of substances are explained in terms of the packing of their particles. Models used also demonstrate the behaviour of atoms during melting and boiling.
This item teaches:
- how materials can vary in their appearance and state
- about the use of the particle model to describe changes in states of matter
- about the use of the particle model to describe solids, liquids and gases
- about the arrangement of molecules/ atoms in solids
- about the arrangement of molecules/ atoms in liquids
- about the arrangement of molecules/ atoms in gases
- Classifying Materials
- Inorganic Chemistry
- state, gas, solid, liquid, particles
- 1,917 times
- Related Items
- This Author
Separation by Distillation
This activity simulates the separation of a liquid mixture c...
Air molecules bombarding a smoke particle
An interactive animation showing air molecules bombarding a ...
Changes of state
A graphic illustrating the changes of state. The diagram sho...
The Behaviour of Solids, Liquids and Gases
This activity uses the Atom viewer to explain the behaviour ...
The atoms in a gas
An interactive animation showing the atoms in a gas. A styli...
Energy Changes in Reactions (1)
This activity investigates the energy changes that occur dur...
Physical Properties of Liquids
This activity shows that different substances can be charact...
This activity investigates and teaches students to summarise...
Properties of Covalent Materials
This activity investigates the physical properties that are ...
Thermal Decomposition and Redox
This activity investigates the action of heat on metal oxide...